Sometimes you want baked pasta, but you also want buffalo wings. And as great as those both sound to binge eat on the couch while watching adventure time, it's not always for the best. So I used my google kung-fu to search for a happy combination of the two. May I present Buffalo Chicken Pasta Bake!
Buffalo Chicken Pasta Bake
serves 8 - 10, or two with leftovers for days!
2 9.75 oz cans of chicken breast in water
13.25 oz Whole Wheat Penne (1 Box of Barilla)
1/4 cup reduced fat ranch dressing
1 cup non fat plain greek yogurt
1 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese blend
1/2 cup reduced fat blue cheese crumbles
1 cup Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp. garlic powder & onion powder
1 tsp. salt & pepper
1/8 cup chives chopped
- Preheat Oven to 350 F
- Cook whole box of pasta according to instructions until aldente. Drain, and place in large bowl.
- Drain both cans of chicken, put into bowl with pasta.
- In sauce pan over medium heat combine yogurt, ranch, 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles, franks hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and 3/4 Cup shredded cheese. Cook and stir until melted and combined.
- Pour melted sauce mixture into chicken and pasta mixture, stir until coated. If you prefer more sauce, make a double batch.
- Spray casserole dish with non stick cooking spray. Put sauce, chicken, and pasta mixture into casserole dish. Top with remaining cheeses and breadcrumbs. Bake for 25 minutes, broil afterwards until top is brown and bubbly.
- Garnish with more hot sauce and chopped chives.
I tried to make it a bit more healthy than a normal pasta bake, but it was still delicious. We actually had someone over who hated Greek yogurt, but had no idea there was any in this dish. So if that's a concern for you, don't let it be. This recipe is definitely going to be on heavy rotation this rainy dreary spring, total and complete comfort food.
Do you have a favorite pasta bake?