Sometimes you power through and sew a dress in a few short hours. That happened today. I've had this pattern, simplicity 142 (1955), for a while now. The illustration is super cute, and it's got some really neat details like the contrasting lapel pieces that are detachable. Fair warning though, I haven't yet made any of the fun pieces!
Excuse the frizzy mass that is my hair right now, it's humid as all get out in the Midwest right now.
I always think it's kind of comical to see the pattern illustration with the perfect waspy waist, and then see it on my much more generous body. I prefer modern patterns with photos on real bodies (although ideal ones), to a perfectly fitted illustration.
I used a striped linen I had in my stash which was super easy to work with. It went together fairly quick. My pattern matching isn't perfect, but it's not horrible. I made a simple fabric tie in lieu of a belt. My local store was out of belting, and this is just one of those dresses that looks weird without one. I made no pattern alternations, and think I will next time If I sew it again. The bodice is like an inch too long, not long enough to try and fix now, but long enough to where it will bug me. I also ironed back the neckline notches into baby labels. The notches just seemed kind of weird. The buttons aren't perfect, but not bad for maybe one of the five times I've actually done buttons. I do really like the way the gored skirt falls; I had to cut off like a foot from the hem though, it was so long! That further cements the idea that petite patterns are my friend. I'm almost five foot eight, so you think it would be the opposite. My short legs and long torso combo is a strange one!
I feel like I'm finally seeing some improvement in my sewing skills though! Things are coming out much neater than before, which is exciting if you're a sewing nerd.
Anyway off to pick a new pattern to sew up! See you later this week!