Very Paige

Rebecca Page Madison Blouse Review

sewingpaige pComment

I sewed up the Rebecca Page Madison Blouse  (formerly Mummykins and Me Patterns). It was provided to me to review for The Curvy Sewing Collective. Although the pattern was a gift, I used my own supplies and was not paid for my review. As always, the opinons are my own. 

For the review I tried to not alter the pattern much, I added the usual lengthening adjustment for my long waist as I have yet to sew a top as drafted that’s long enough for me.

I used a quilting cotton I got from my local independent fabric store, Fiberge. While I’m usually past the “sew everything in cute novelty quilt prints” phase of my sewing, this pattern recommended it for a “crisper more structured version”. I also already had it in my stash so I didn’t have to buy anything new for the construction. I did put some really pretty vintage lucite buttons on it from the 1950’s. I picked them up at a flea market in NYC last November. I tried to be clever with the pattern placement and flip everything under the yoke, but I feel like it doesn’t look intentional, and just like I didn’t understand how to lay my pattern pieces. I’ll live, but lesson learned.

Please try and ignore my crap top-stitching and enjoy the pretty vintage button! 

The construction process was simple and the instructions made sense. I think they are geared towards beginners as there was a lot of handholding. The written instructions were a bit overkill for me. I also wish I hadn’t printed them out as they took up a lot of paper, and I found myself not referencing them much. When I did reference them, I kind of had to dig much more than I normally do if I was just trying to reference one or two steps. That being said I don’t think I can ding off any points for the instructions being too descriptive, but it wasn’t my preferred option- I like things much more concise and to the point.

It’s alright out of the envelope, but there are some fit issues I would change should I make it again. It did fit my apple/cello shape much better than I thought it would.

If I was to make this top again I would make a lot of changes to it. The first being not to use a quilting cotton. The drape just isn’t right. If I wanted something crisp I would use a cotton shirting or sateen.

I would also address the fitting issues. I would add more length than I already added so the shirt hit just a bit lower. I need a swayback adjustment since the gathering on the back yoke isn’t laying quite right with the small of my back. I would a bit more room around the waist for when I sit as well. From the finished garment measurements, I assumed I wouldn’t need much more wearing ease, but I do. The sleeves are also very tight on my bicep, which is something I don’t normally have any issue with. You can see the strain on the sleeve when I put my hands up on my hip. The sleeves in the product photos appear much looser than what I sewed. I have a fairly standard bicep size, so I would guess that a lot of plus size women are going to need a full bicep adjustment. It fit fairly well in the bust, but the gathers to the front yoke seem fairly forgiving.

Labels from Dutch Label Shop

This is definitely a pattern I would say you have to toile first. Fabric will also make a huge difference in the first. Stick to things with good drape. Be mindful of the sleeves- I never need a full bicep adjustment and I could have used one here.

♥ Paige

I love reading your comments! If you also have a blog don't forget to put it in the comment form so I can check it out. Thanks for reading, you're the best! Disclosure Here.