Simplicity 1561: An Easy Night Gown

I thought I would hop on the lingerie sewing bandwagon this month. I have a bra pattern I'm working on fit wise. I'm also waiting on some bra supplies to ship. If I could purchase more findings locally it would make my life so much easier.  In the meantime I thought I'd pick a simple stash busting project. I've had this pattern for quite awhile, one of the 99 cent pattern sales I'm sure. The view I was able to make from the tiny bit of mystery super slippery fabric was view E the sleeveless nightgown. 

It's super simple, and basically an adult version of a pillowcase nightie. Tube shaped with some armholes cut out, and gathered using a drawstring. I used ribbon instead of the self-fabric drawstring and it turned out fine. I chose to use this fabric because the pattern was so simple. I hate using slippery wovens, with a passion. There's only one way to get better at something like that, and it's to actually sew with it! 

I used lots of starch, a rotary cutter, and fine weight pins. It's no masterpiece technically, but it's certainly better than the last time I attempted to sew anything so finicky. I used a pin hem technique which worked very well on making the hem easier to manage.  

While this is basically a sack, I think it's a pretty sack. It's totally serviceable as a nightie. It's also comfortable, I actually want to wear it thanks to the fabric choice. I also think the hand of the fabric makes for a really pretty draping on the rear view. I could see myself making more from this pattern. It's a very instantly gratifying sew. I would probably use a fabric a bit easier to work with though!