It's been awhile since I've cut up my pincushion. Why on earth would a tear open a pincushion? Well for one, I've spilled more coffee on it than I would like to admit. Secondly, I was running low on hand needles. They tend to slip into the cushion and nest themselves into all the packed sawdust. I found twenty needles in mine. I totally destroyed my pincushion getting them out though. I mean I could have run and purchased one, but if I'm too cheap to go buy new needles why on earth would I do that?
I used my old pincushion as a rough template and stitched up the side seam.
I then bunched it up and stitched over one of the ends with my machine. Yes I could have taken the time to hand gather everything, but I was feeling a quick and dirty project.
I flipped it rightside out and filled it back up with sawdust. I used the weird plastic bag that held the sawdust in my old pincushion. You probably don't need to do that though.
Then I just used a few rows of sloppy hand stitches to close up the pucker. They don't have to be neat, we're covering them up!
I cut a small heart out of some craft felt and attached it using a running stitch. It's good to have some thicker fabric on top of your pin cushion for needles. It helps to keep them from slipping into the pincushion. That's what the leaves on the store bought tomato shaped cushions are supposed to be, but I have better luck with felt.
Now you've got a quick and dirty pincushion, plus some free needles.
This is super easy, and probably didn't need really need a whole blog post on how to DIY one. I guess I'm just in a sharing mood! I did get a pretty much complete 18th century outfit done, but you'll have to wait until after this weekend to see it all!